Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Challenges and Choices

When it comes to skiing in Colorado it is no secret that it is all about choices.  Let’s be serious, skiing is kind of our thing.  In the winter the weekend’s question is not whether to ski but where to ski.  Season passes include up to five mountains so we never get bored and never have to make turns in the same place twice.

So when the idea came about to ski every resort in Colorado to raise money for breast cancer, I knew the vast amount of choices in the state would present its challenges.  This was going to be real tough, and not just because we were sleeping in an RV for eight nights.

How many ski resorts are there in Colorado?  To be honest my original guess was fifteen. I counted eleven resorts that are less than a three hour drive from Denver and contribute to the infamous I-70 traffic jams that we love to hate. I then added those mountains tucked away from Denver’s backyard: The towns of Crested Butte, Steamboat, Telluride, and Aspen.

It turns out that fifteen is a modest guess, and to say Colorado provides riders choices is the understatement of the year: When it comes to the number of ski resorts in Colorado, the lucky number is 27.  With perfect planning, spot-on timing, and an amazing partnership with the Colorado Breast Cancer Coalition, we are officially set to tackle all 27 resorts in 8 days.

Now, six weeks away from the “Ski Bumps. Fight Lumps.” tour,  I have shifted my focus to preparing for the physical demands of the trip by staying as active as possible and starting a little something I like to call “Allie Boot Camp” to transform myself into a fit, skiing machine.  I have incorporated a variety of different types of activities to increase my fitness level from practicing my moves on the Colorado slopes, participating in a variety of Ski-Fit classes in the Denver-Metro area, and I have even resorted to pulling out a few old conditioning exercises from my tennis career at the University of Michigan (shuttles not included) to keep things fun. 

The Breast Cancer battle presents many challenges. One in every eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. However, there are a variety of options and choices to help prevent and lower its risks. Check out the skibumpsfightlumps.org website for more information. 

Until next time,

Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment