Tuesday, February 15, 2011

March 18th is Circled on My Calendar

No, it's not circled as a reminder to take ibprofen and double down on espresso following the Chicago St. Patty's celebration.  I'll be on the Ski Bumps. Fight Lumps. tour, and that's the day we're headed to Silverton Mountain.  I'm incredibly excited to expand my Colorado ski resort horizons, and without hurting any of the other resort's feelings, I think I feel the greatest excitement for Silverton.

It's not just a place where Shaun White built a private halfpipe out of avalanche blasts.  Actually, Silverton offers a very unique experience, at least unique as far as Colorado resorts go.  On an average day the mountain has about 80 riders a day, compared to the sometimes notorious crowds found at more well-known Colorado resorts.  But, it's not just the lack of crowds that makes Silverton special.  The trails are uncut, and the only grooming they do is avalanche blasting.  There is only one chairlift, and we'll be expected to work (hike) for our powder laps.  Skiers are required to have a shovel, beacon and probe, and I'm sure our guide will have lots of fun reassuring me for the 12th time that my beacon is indeed working and there's nothing to worry about.

Check out this video to catch a glimpse of the town and mountain.  

I truly hope to be challenged by this mountain, and I already find myself inspired by the thought of it.  I have a feeling it won't disappoint.  It's safe to say that this will worth missing all the of the Chicago St. Patrick's Day festivities!

- Page

No comments:

Post a Comment